Florence and Tuscan countryside
Wander along medieval streets in mountaintop towns and villages in Tuscany
discovering the civilization that created the dishes you will learn to make.
Florence and the Tuscan countryside
6 nights, 7 days
Your expedition is based in Florence, where you will become familiar with the history of this Renaissance jewel and, thus, understand how its cuisine influenced the French when Catherine de Medici became Queen of France in 1547.
You will wander outside of Florence where you'll see the postcard-perfect hilltop towns and visit locally-owned vineyards to learn about the art of winemaking, including how the vines are grown, the different methods for producing wine and the variety of labels found in the region.
Have you ever wondered what gives extra virgin olive oil its flavor or why Tuscany produces the most sought-after and delicious olive oil?
If we are on time for the olive harvest, you will learn why with a visit to a local farm and a frantoio, where farmers take their olives for pressing. Obviously, you can't always get your fresh oil from a frantoio, so we'll discuss how to look out for the real thing, how to read the label carefully to know what you're getting and what makes the local extra virgin olive oil the best in the world.
Our hosts in the Chianti Classico region are passionate proponents of Kilometro Zero, a sustainable food and farm-to-table approach.
• Cooking Class at the famous Cordon Bleu of Florence Cooking School.
• Market-to-table cooking class for a fall menu with Gilda Carbonaro.
• Walking Tour of Florence.
• Bistecca Fiorentina dinner in Florence.
• Wine tasting of Brunellos, Chiantis, and Super Tuscans in wineries in the countryside.
• Visit and lunch at an historic vin santo estate in Chianti.
• Visit to olive oil estate and frantoio for olive oil tasting.
• Visits to medieval towns near Florence.
• Optional yoga classes in a Renaissance palace.
• Minimum 6 people - Maximum 10 .
• Deposit of $500 per person to reserve your place. (Refunded only if tour is not filled.)
• Balance of payment is due 90 days prior to travel
• We STRONGLY RECOMMEND traveler's insurance for your protection.
Check here to compare plans (http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com)